FORMAL/BLACK TIE OPTIONAL
The Formal or Black tie optional dress code is a step ahead of semi-formal and cocktail dress codes, but is still slightly less formal than “black tie”. It means just what it says: the event will be formal enough to wear full black tie - meaning a tuxedo - but that it's an optional suggestion. Expect to dress up, because the planners of the party visioning a glittering formal affair, with neatly groomed men and flashes of flesh of the women. Formal dress is the grouping of all the dress codes which govern clothes worn to formal events, dramatic colours and usually gowns; long, flowy, fluffy, frilly, lacy full ball gowns. Foolproof Outfit: An ankle-grazing dress and statement jewelry.
- Formal (floor-length) evening gowns are always the most formal outfit what will go best with a man wearing tuxedos.
- If you lack a full-length gown, a “little black dress” or special-occasion dressy and knee length cocktail dress, adorned with sequins and worn with formal shoes, would work as well. You should pick neutral tone`s like brown, gray and black or dark colours like navy blue and other bold colors such as emerald and magenta.
- If event takes a place in daytime, then a smart daywear like morning dress - dress or skirt worn with a jacket. They may be worn also with no jacket in summer but if so, should be modest with sleeves or at least not narrow straps. Shoulders may be covered by a bolero, shrug, pashmina, a tailored jacket or coat. You should wear tights and a not a very high heels. Daytime jewelry and pearls are a good choice. Hats are not always required, but they are essential for certain events.
- Well-stitched dressy separates made of formal fabrics, like chiffon and silk. Pantsuit should be dark or neutral tone.
- Statement jewelry like diamond bracelets, pendants, jeweled necklaces, pearl necklace, drop earrings and cocktail rings. Only a dress is not enough for a great look but accessories along with it - will turn a basic black cocktail dress into black tie optional-appropriate outfits.
- Heels like stilettoes, open-toes, high heel pumps or wedges are perfect choices.
AVOID: Funky T-shirt`s, sport jacket`s, khaki or denim. Dresses should not be too short, too colorful or flashy, or too revealing. In daytime Avoid very high heels or evening-style shoes.
WHEN TO WEAR IT: Large business and formal civic gatherings or business groups, such as a dinner sponsored by a chamber of commerce, including business dinners and wedding`s, formal garden party`s or dinner`s, dance`s, race`s, high school prom dances, formal dances, and entertainment industry award programs.